Thursday, February 28, 2013

A Journey with Words...

                                       
Words are one of the most important assets we have in our world today. It’s one of the many and easiest ways we express ourselves and to make our wants, needs known. Well in Words by Ginny L. Yttrup we travel with Kaylee and Sierra as they use words as their navigators through their lives till they learn who the ultimate word is. We meet ten years old Kaylee first as she explains what words have come to mean to her. She learns and stores words in her mind so she can take them out when things get too much for her. We meet Sierra on the anniversary of the worst day in her life. Where she tries to bury every emotion she ever had so she doesn't have to feel pain anymore. Both lives seem destined for disaster till they meet by accident near a cemetery. The parallel journeys that Sierra and Kaylee take to freedom are so inspiring to me because in some ways I hide behind things also and I don't get involved with people as I should. Sierra had to go through her own process of freedom and dependency to have the strength to help Kaylee go through her journey. The characters touched me as I was watched them evolve especially Kaylee. One of my favorite scenes is where Sierra baptizes and recommits her self to Christ after realizing there is not much she can do herself for Kaylee only God can help. Watching Kaylee go through all the emotions she was not allowed to feel before now that hurt and when she had her first breakthrough with Sierra I was tearing. Another thing I observed from Sierra is that in order for her life to have any meaning and also for her to move on is that she had to stop being self centered and start focusing on others in her life. She learned to put someone else’s happiness before hers. What I learned most from this story is the harder we try to hold on to the controller of our world, the harder things are for us and the more tied up and bottled up we feel. To experience real freedom we have to let go and let the real controller handle everything he is the expert. I think this quote “For God so loved the world, He gave His only begotten Son." He gave His Word.” Encompasses what this story is all about and what each character learns. That this quote is straight from Kaylee which makes it even more inspiring. There is a last theme that Ginny Ytrup discusses which is truth and confession. Lately this has become my own theme since my prayer group have been discussing just this topic. Just as Kaylee and Sierra have discovered there are sins and other truths that must be confessed in order to be free and live in the truth. The subject matter was heavy but I really enjoyed this book hopefully you get it and enjoy it too.

The thoughts written above are just my humble opinions.

2 comments: