Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pearls of Faith and Love...

Imagineyourself In ancient times and it's a drought year your family has nothing leftto survive on!!! Worst you are a girl of barely sixteen what can you do!!! Thenyou hear you  overhear your parentsdiscussing selling like you are their last peace of Gold!! well this is whereour Journey begins with Pearl in the sand by Tessa Afshar.  Our main character Rahab is told by herfather after eavesdropping the night before that the only way for the family tosurvive this season is if she sells herself as a prostitute at the temple. Ican not imagine what goes through a young girl's head when you are told this, Tessatries to give us an inkling of it though it can never be enough. Rahab goesinto business for herself and rejects her culture’s way of life. Through heringenuity and wit she thrives and becomes a sought after courtesan. Though inall this time she feels a loneliness and anger cause she feels betrayed by herfamily and they feel embarrassed by her profession. It is at this times shehears about a ragtag group of nomads who follow a strange nameless and facelessGod which intrigues her due to the stories of his compassion and his  power. What astounds me is that Rahab startsto believe in God and follow the little she knows about his ways on the strengthof those stories alone and what’s even more inspiring is that she never turnsfrom this faith. Soon we meet those nomads called Israel and our other maincharacter Salmone. So our journey unfolds with Salmone and Rahab as they try tocome together. As you can tell I really love this story of faith, love andredemption. Tessa Afshar creates unforgettable characters in Rahab and Salmone.She makes you want to come back again and again to see how they fought theirbattles. As Rahab fights feelings of inadequacy and unworthiness and Salmone fights with what he believes arefeelings of what he thinks is righteous pride, they learn battles are easierwon when fought together.Though thisbook is full of so many truths the one that stands out to me is God's mercy andhis Love though many may scoff, in this cynical world nothing is better thanknowing that I matter to the king of the universe and what goes on in my lifeis important to him. If you’ve read the book tell me your thoughts.


Thesethoughts are my own and none were solicited…. 

2 comments:

  1. I can't even begin to express how much I love this book...especially the moment you come to understand why it is called PEARL IN THE SAND. Tessa Afshar is by far one of my favorite authors, and her new book Harvest of Rubies has the same life-changing effect as this on. But Rahab is a person I can relate to...I LOVED THIS BOOK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Evangheline that was really a great moment!! I'm reading harvest of rubies next. I feel like I know Rahab after reading this story so I know what you mean!!

      Delete